Letterkenny (Irish Leitir Ceannain) is the largest town in Co. Donegal, part of the province of Ulster. Located at the mouth of Lough Swilly.
Letterkenny originated as a small fishing village on the banks of the scenic Lough Swilly in the 17th century to the prosperous town it is today, and the ecclestical seat for the Diocese of Raphoe. Poised at the mouth of the lovely Lough Swilly. Letterkenny offers its many visitors, all their heart desires in Shopping, Arts , History, Sports indoor and utdoor , crafts, Culture, Leisure and .Entertainment in one of its many Entertainment Venues. Letterkenny is a convenient base for day trips to a variety of locations throughout the county
Rabble Days, or Hiring Fairs, were held in Donegal in years gone by when children between the ages of 11 and sixteen were sold for periods of six months to wealthy farmers of the Lagan Valley. These Rabble Days were held annually in May and November at Speers Lane, at the corner of Upper Main Street and a lasting memory to that era can be seen in Market Square where a wonderful sculpture of Rabble Children is located.
Letterkenny's Main Street
Letterkenny's Main Street is the longest street in Ireland. The street is divided into two sections. Lower Main Street which runs from the junction at Oldtown to the Market Square. and Upper Main Street runs from the Market Square to the junction at Crossview House. Traffic flows in a one -way system from Crossview House downwards.
Upper Main Street
Lower Main Street
This 19th Century Cathedral stands proudly over the town on the appropiately named Sentry Hill: the name dating from the period 1690 - 1760 back in the penal times when sentries were placed on the hill to warn against the approach of spies whilst Mass was celebrated at nearby Roger’s Burn. Dating from the 1890’s and built in a gothic style the Cathedral was commissioned by the then Bishop of Raphoe, Patrick O Donnell. In 1888 at the age of thirty-two he became the youngest Bishop in the world. An ancient castle once stood near where St Eunan’s Catherdral stands today. Letterkenny Castle built in 1625 was located south of Mount Southwell on Castle Street. Outlaw Redmond O’ Hanlon found refuge there in 1690. No remains of the castle exists today.
The Courthouse built in 1829 it is one of the last surviving examples of the old style court buildings that used to be found throughout Donegal containing a bride well with six cells and two day rooms. The Courthouse now hosts District Court settings and biennial sittings of the High Court on Circuit
Bernard Mc Glinchey Town Park
The park is located off the Hospital roundabout on the Kilmacrennan Road. opened in 1999 the park offers visitors and residents an opperturrnity to enjoy the countryside in a busy vibrant town. The park has a herb garden,beautiful flower beds, mature trees,Childrens Playing Area, Picnic Areas, Bowling green, magnificent walks. and a Garden of Rememberance
Letterkenny Craft & Design Studio
The Letterkenny Craft and Design Studio was officially opened in October 2012. The craftspeople and artists showing their work at the studio come from all over Donegal. There are also some participants from Derry and the neighbouring counties. The work on display is also quite varied, from knitwear to pottery, driftwood to jewellery, sculpture to miniatures, stained glass to soaps, christening robes to accessories, wood turning and more. After a browse around the many crafts on display, why not enjoy a coffee in the comfortable surroundings of the Moonshine Coffee Shop which has just been opened at the Studio
All our letterkenny self catering apartments and townhouses are conveniently located in the heart of Letterkenny within walking distance of four shopping centres, theatre and cinema and all the culture and nightlife which makes the town such a delight, we leave you to take full advantage of all Letterkenny has to offer.
Even by Irish standards, Letterkenny is well provided with lively pubs, many of them offering Irish music.
|Map of Donegal||Map of Donegal(Yahoo)||Map of Letterkenny|